WALLA WALLA:  Suspect allegedly beat victim earlier

WALLA WALLA: Suspect allegedly beat victim earlier

New information has been released regarding the suspect in the fatal hit and runs last October in the area of North Ninth Avenue near Elm Avenue which killed Joshua L. Shelley, 31, of Walla Walla

According to court documents, Destinee Nicole Sally, 29, of Walla Walla, assaulted Shelley on September 30, 2018, with a baseball bat – approximately two weeks before the hit-and-run incident that cost the same man his life.

Walla Walla County Prosecuting Attorney James Nagle said Shelley was friends to both Destinee and her brother, Brandon Sally, 27, of Walla Walla. Destinee Sally was already charged with hit and run (fatality). Now she also faces a charge of second-degree assault following a report from the Walla Walla Police Department.

While Destinee’s brother Brandon was allegedly involved in the September 30th assault with a baseball bat, Nagle said the suspect has not been arrested and charges have not been filed yet. The prosecutor’s office is still reviewing Brandon Sally’s alleged involvement.

Following the hit and run on Oct. 19, court documents state Destinee was seen by an eyewitness “frantically cleaning” a green, four-door Toyota Camry.

In the days and weeks that followed, the WWPD continued to investigate while also receiving information from a confidential witness and later a person who identified themselves as a close family member. That family member relayed to WWPD that Destinee Sally had confessed to the fatal hit and run which killed Shelley. One of Shelley’s family members also contacts WWPD to report that they too heard that Destinee both beat Shelley with a baseball bat and bragged of intentionally killing Shelley by running him over.

The night of the hit and run, Shelley was transported to the emergency room at Providence St. Mary Medical Center where he was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival. A WWPD officer determined Shelley was struck on the left side of his body by a vehicle while walking or standing. His injuries included a fractured skull and broken right ankle.

Sally was eventually located and arrested in Milton-Freewater for an unrelated theft case and extradited from Umatilla County to the Walla Walla County Jail.

Her trial is scheduled to begin on March 13.