Oregon Parks and Recreation Department awarded five grants totaling $150,000 for projects across the state that create or preserve memorials to veterans or wars. Awards range from range from $8,850-$48,000.
Funded projects include:
- Documentation and replacement of the terra cotta tile roof of the WWI Dougboy Monument in Astoria.
- Addition of a memorial wall recognizing veterans from and living Bandon to the existing Coast Guard monument in Bandon.
- Construction of a memorial to commemorate the service of veterans in Warm Springs.
- Development of a veterans memorial in Malin.
- Construction of a memorial to local veterans from WWI to present in Veneta.
This competitive grant program was created by the Oregon legislature in 2005. Applicants must be local or tribal governments and the memorial must be on public land.